Wednesday, August 13, 2014

summer recap

The summer is almost over and the girls will be back in school in a few weeks.  However, they've stayed plenty busy with camps nearly every week...because I still have to (& want to) work in the summer.  But we've managed to squeeze in a few fun outings...here's a brief recap:

there's an old NASCAR track just north of Raleigh that is now a park (Occoneechee Speedway)...pretty neat to see what remains of the old dirt track
 

there was a little workout station in the middle of the track
and a dance floor??
the original grandstands are still there

reproduction of the concession stands ("boo" to the Pepsi sign...unfortunately, NC is Pepsi country)

cool old aerial photo of the track back in the 60's


early morning trek down to the Sandhills Gamelands
pitcher plant bog!

cool legume, Orbexilum pedunculatum (or Sampson's snakeroot to non-plant nerds)




We also took our "annual" trip (we hadn't been down there in nearly 3 years!) down to Ponte Vedra Beach, FL with Will's family.  I was lazy and didn't take my camera on the beach so no beach pictures (sorry!), but we all had a great time, and the girls really liked playing with their cousin Gage and building sand castles.  And Lilly was brave enough to go out in the ocean with Will a few times (Maggie...not really a fan of the ocean yet).  We even had a visit from a lost gopher tortoise.  And as usual, I spent some time hunting for shark's teeth...and I even trained Lilly to find them!



I think my tooth count for this trip was ~ 230...including one of the biggest ones I've found (definitely in my top 5)

2 comments:

  1. What is a gopher tortoise doing at the beach? I will have to look up where this beach is. I love the sharks teeth. Do you keep them all? You must have thousands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I keep them. I have them all in a big glass jar in the kitchen. Every so often, one of the girls wants to get it down and play with them (which I supervise like a hawk). And every time I add to the jar, I like to pull out the biggest teeth and compare. Unfortunately, I don't keep a running tally of how many I have collected over the years...I wish I did. I know, I'm a nerd! It's an obsession!

    ReplyDelete