Wednesday, August 25, 2010

beach trip!

Last week we headed down to Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida for our "annual" beach trip with Will's family. Since we didn't make it down there last year, this was Maggie's first beach trip. It was a fairly short, mid-week trip this time around, but we had a good time nonetheless and Maggie enjoyed seeing Mimie, Pappy, aunt Katie, cousin Gage, and "uncle" Kris. She didn't really like the ocean, but she did like playing in the sand in the shade. On the very last day we were there, we finally got her comfortable enough walking in the sand and playing in the shallow tide pools. She absolutely loves seashells, so she would find a good seashell in the sand, say "wash it", and scamper down to the tide pool to wash the shell off. There were also teeny, tiny fish in the tide pools that Will would catch in his hands, but not before Maggie would say "come here fishies!" It was pretty cute, but unfortunately I left my camera in the house that morning so I don't have pictures or video of it.






One of the nights we were there, we strapped some headlamps on the kids and went down to the beach looking for crabs. Here are a couple of pictures of Gage (in front in the first photo) and Maggie practicing their caving skills before we went out.


Despite having a toddler to chase around, plus being 7 months pregnant and not able to take the heat and humidity of coastal Florida for too long (or being able to bend over very comfortably!), I did manage to sneak away from the house for short increments of time for my favorite beach activity, shark's teeth hunting. It definitely wasn't my best effort, but not too shabby for a total of just a couple hours of hunting.

Sorry for the blurriness of the next photos...Will and I went out early one morning to see the sunrise, and in the first photo you can see one of the two dolphins that were playing in the water that morning.




And here's Maggie relaxing with Lexi, one of her two favorite beagles.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you found so many shark teeth. That's awesome, we have been to the beach a million times and I have never found one. I can't wait to take Archer to the beach some day. I love the picture of Will and Maggie. Where did you get that sand toy (the tower thing)? I see it in pictures all the time but I've never seen one in stores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you could say it's an addiction of mine...and has been for the past 7 years since I've been going to Ponte Vedra w/ Will. About a month before we go to the beach, I'll actually start having dreams about finding teeth...how crazy is that?? I've never found any in the Gulf, only on the northeast coast of FL. The tides expose these fantastic shell beds that are covered w/ shark's teeth! Before Maggie, Will and I would go out for hours at a time and come home with several hundred teeth!

    Re. the sand tower, it was at the house when we got there. I think Will's mom brought it, but I'm not sure where she got it...I'll ask.

    ReplyDelete